9 am to 5 pm

Ocampo 49

Ajijic, Jal, Mexico

Office Number:

+52-376-76-63654

Compare Listings

Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities in Ajijic Mexico

One of the facts of life is growing old. Today people are living longer and in general in good health. There does come a time however that some people can no longer take care of themselves. At that point, who can help with the day to day challenges that face us?

I moved from Canada to Mexico several years ago and the attitudes towards the elderly are somewhat different here than what you may find in Canada, and I guess to an extent in the USA. It seems to make a good living north of the Mexican border both man and woman, husband and wife, need to work these days. With the average incomes where they are, it is sometimes the only choice a family has.

Unfortunately for their parents, this poses a problem. Who can be available to take care of these people in need when everyone is so busy with their own daily lives? It is just a fact of life. In Mexico, it is rare that both supporting family members work, and if they do then there is usually another family member such as an aunt or even older child to help with care of a senior. That is just the way of life here.

For those of us that cannot provide the needed help, nursing homes have been a growing market for years, and they will only get more popular with more and more people retiring and living longer. The issue with nursing homes, especially if you are not insured, is the cost.

My father was in need of care in Canada, my not being there and his wife recently passing left him needing help. We looked into care facilities there and were amazed with the cost. Prices started at $2500 dollars and simply went up from there, with an average cost of $4000 dollars! We decided that I would come home while his brother looked after him and I would look at the options here in this area of Mexico.

I was shocked as to what is available in the area, and the costs were far less and for far better care. Unfortunately my father passed away before getting here. I found out that a high percentage of the individuals staying in these facilities here are indeed foreigners that looked to Mexico for affordable care. Even for insured patients, they found it more affordable to be here than back home in the US or Canada.

Below is an example of a facility in San Juan Cosala, Jalisco which is about a 15 minute drive west from Ajijic along the shores of Lake Chapala. I toured this facility and took some pictures.

Front Entrance
Front Entrance

Taking the tour with the owner, I certainly must agree that they have found something special. Walking through the big wooden front gates that open up into courtyard with what looks like one big building but is in fact 3 separate homes. The left and right side homes are mirror images of each other. They have beautiful rooms styled after the owners  favorite hotel chain. The rooms vary in size, and 3 of the large rooms have their own bathrooms, while the remaining rooms have shared bathrooms designed for wheel chair access and enough room for a few staff members to attend the people who need help.

Front Patio
Front Patio

Upstairs for the more ambulatory people also have a kitchen and large living area. Eventually there will be 6 rooms upstairs and a lift will be built to access this level in the coming months. Large windows and plenty of sunshine are plenty up there.

Living Room
Living Room

The living areas are spacious and well accommodated with very comfortable and inviting furniture. The kitchens are also well equipped and ready to serve up 3 meals a day with snacks and fruit available around the clock. Each home has its living room, with a shared common patio in the back which is glassed in to keep warmer in the winter months, with sliding glass doors to provide fresh air in the summer. The living rooms are equipped with large screen televisions with cable and DVD players for movies.

Hallway
Hallway

The hallways are all bright and large, making moving around very easy. Ramps are in place everywhere there is a change in elevation, and no carpets anywhere to trip up anyone.

Front Patio
Front Patio

Move through the common area into the huge back garden provides yet another place to relax. An outdoor patio with a stove provides afternoon lunches on the patio on certain days. Ramps out the back lead to the malecone (boardwalk) next to the lake. The number of options available to relax in the sun or shade here are all beautiful. If you cannot find a comfortable place here, I would be surprised. There is a pool for those who are ambulatory but will be off limits to those who require help. That does not mean you couldn’t sit by the pool and enjoy the ambience.

Rear Garden
Rear Garden

There are also onsite quarters for staff, and laundry facilities. All laundry, meals, room and board, cleaning, and onsite care are all included. The cost is dependent on the size of room you choose, and the level of care required. The price structure ranges from $1000 to $1600 USD. There are extra charges for diapers, medicine, and specific doctors’ appointments. They do have Dr. Rodriguez on call for emergencies but can bring in any doctor that the resident wishes to have.

Bedroom
Bedroom

All the rooms are well appointed with excellent mattresses and nice furniture. Walls are left bare for whatever decorations and pictures the residents might want to make their rooms personalized and comfortable.

Mattress
Mattress

When asked what level of care is offered. On staff is also an Alzheimer’s specialist that worked for many years at a specific Alzheimer’s clinic in Oregon. During my tour another gentleman was there looking around as well.

The owners are focused on the foreign community because the culture here really takes care of their own simply because they are able to. So how would a senior from north of the border get here? Typically a family member would accompany the senior here to get them settled. If that is not possible, our personnel would actually go to you and accompany the person down.

In fact, if the senior could not fly, they could even come and get you or the senior in need of car in a vehicle. Naturally there would be a cost associated with that kind of trip, and the person would need to be in good enough health to make that kind of road trip.

For the near future in addition to being able to contact the residence by the internet, this is available in all the rooms, they want to put a camera system in the common areas whereas family members could log on and possibly see a parent or a loved one in these areas. What a unique idea.

If you would like more info on this home, other homes in the area, or the area in general, please contact  the Access team.

img

Writer Evelyn

I am a single retired woman living in Ajijic Mexico. I participate in writing informative articles about the Lake Chapala area for AccessLakeChapala.com and hope my posts can give you an idea of what to expect when you visit the area.

Related posts

Verbena Jamaica at the Ajijic Plaza 2018

Palm Sunday was on March 25th this year. I went to the same celebration last year and wrote about...

Continue reading
Writer Evelyn
by Writer Evelyn

The Feria de la Capirotada 2018 in Ajijic

The Feria de la Capirotada, also called the Spring Festival, was held again this year at the...

Continue reading
Writer Evelyn
by Writer Evelyn

40th Annual Chili Cook-Off Ajijic 2018

This is a very special year for the Ajijic Chili Cook-Off. It is the 40th year. It started out very...

Continue reading
Writer Evelyn
by Writer Evelyn

30 thoughts on “Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities in Ajijic Mexico”

• kathleen Waterbury

September 7, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I AM A LICENSED NURSING ASSISTANT IN THE STATES. I ONCE LIVED IN CHAPALA AND WANT SO MUCH TO RETURN FOREVER. I WAS WONDERING ID YOU EVER HIRE AN AMERICAN TRAINED PROFESSIONAL IN ONE OF YOUR FACILTIES? I AM NOT YOUNG ENOUGH TO RETIRE NO DO I DESIRE TOO, I ISTILL HAVE TO MUCH TO GIVE, TO BE PUT OUT TO PASTURE.

I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH A PRIVATE CLIENT WHO REGRETFULLY IS MOVING OUT OF THE AREA. I PLAN TO COME TO CHAPALA FOR THE HOLIDAYS AND WINTER, UNLESS I HAVE A NEW CLIENT BEORE THAT TIME. HOWEVER I WILL BE BACK THERE WITHIN THE NEXT 8 MONTHS ONE WAY OR ANOTHER,

WOULD APPRECIATE A RESPONSE, YEA OR NEA, SI OR NADA.

GRACIAS

KATHLEEN CNA

• The Access Admin

September 7, 2011 at 5:48 pm

KATHLEEN,

You would have to contact the nursing home directly. But I do believe the wages are much less her than in the US.

• Maria Felice Cunningham

November 13, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Hello Assisted Living experts,

I would need to move my mother to a facility by June of next year, earlier if needed, and would like to talk with you about cost and quality of care. You were recommended to me and my mother is witty, slow in walking but quite sharp in talking, speaks Spanish and loves culture! Can you call me how we could speak? please email be soon! Warmly, Maria

• The Access Admin

November 13, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Hi Maria,

You would have to contact Alicia’s nursing home directly or her son. You can reach them at:
      Alejandro (Alex) Mejia Sandoval. His number is +52 376 766 1194

• Adrina Kissel

March 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm

couldusend info on casa del lago? do they have private cottages? wha time of year is best to visit? are these facilities cleanand supervised? what about the costs? and what is not included?

• Adrina Kissel

March 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm

interested in more info on Casa del Lago…costs…private cottages…hygiene and supervised…anything else I should know.

• Russ Kuhlmann

March 22, 2012 at 10:10 am

Hello,
    My wife and I are in the process of starting our own assisted care facility in Mexico. We have lived in Cabo San Lucas for 7 years. We are considering Ajijic. Our plan would be to relocate to Ajijic, purchase a suitable residence and start our care home. Based on information we have gathered thus far it seems there is a growing need in that area. Alicia’s homes that you have profiled are exactly as we have envisioned ours would be. Knowing what you know of the area and it’s demographics is our idea feasible? We would welcome any feedback you could give us. Thank you in advance for your consideration.
    Best regards,
    Russ & Julie Kuhlmann

• Pedro

April 14, 2012 at 7:46 am

your return email had an address my computer wouldn’t except.

Eye can’t make this am…and would ask that we put this on hold until eye meet with Dr Aceves on Monday.

Grasias from pedro

• Joy

September 11, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Hi there,
    I am a senior placement service in northern California and wanted to find out more about Alicias. Do you have a website? What are your services and prices? Do you work with referral agencies?
    Thanks, Joy

• Pearl kissel

September 23, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Are there any arranged tours of the assisted living facilities in ajijic mx?

• Casleb Fontanez

November 17, 2012 at 10:02 am

I am having difficulty communicating with Alicia’s nursing home because i am mute. can you give me the procedure to call from the USA to them, please include their phone number. Sincerely, Cal Fontanez

• Stella Bennett

January 9, 2013 at 9:33 am

My brother lives in Crete and is in need of a nursing home now, which Crete does not have. He is 78, frail, can walk slowly, but prefers to remain in his own room sitting all day until bed time. He needs kidney dialysis three times a week, has heart problems controlled with medication, and needs an oygen supply with him.
    Does the Nursing home have access to this kind of treatment please? Could you give me some idea of the cost if they do?

thank you for your time and attention.

Stella

• Keith

February 17, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Hi,

My mom suffered a stroke and has diabetes. She’s on constant medication which is costing an arm and a leg. We have in home caregivers attend daily but they are expensive and I feel quite ineffective. Looking at Mexico seems like the only viable option at this point in time for my mom. Outside of the base cost, what is the estimated “other” costs? I’ve looked around and cannot find any concrete numbers to get an idea of how much this “other” cost can be. Also, are all facilities like this where there is no insurance nor Medicare option?

• David Novak

March 2, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I would appreciate if you could provide me with some addtional information (i.e., cost/month, room availability, minimum length of stay, etc.) on assisted living at Alicia’s and Casa del Lago facilities.

Your response would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dave Novak

• John Anderson

March 29, 2013 at 10:24 am

Could you provide me with some information. I am very interested and would like to speak to you in the future. We are both mobile, and retired. My wife has dementia, (early stages) and needs minimal care. Any formation would be appreciated. My telephone number is 905-668-3643, in Whitby Ontario Canada. Thank you. John Anderson.

• Sandy Martin

November 18, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I just left a message about Vivienne Burton, she also spells her name Vivian. She’s 90 with dimentia/alzheimers. Her husband is Jim Burton.

• Joseph peczynski

August 26, 2014 at 10:08 am

Do you have dialysis treatment.? Does Medicare pay for treatments? I would like to come to ajijic for four months if it is affordable.I have lived in Ajijic five months ayear for 25 years. So I am familiar to the area. I would appreciate if you can give me some information on what it would on the cost of treatment

E

• Carol Towne

July 17, 2015 at 9:04 am

I am interested in learning more about your facility and perhaps paying a visit to see it if that is possible.

We live in Ajijic and my 80 year old husband is growing increasingly frail. He walks with the aid of a walking stick and can shower and go to the bathroom by himself but he has some dementia and is quite forgetful. He speaks well, hears moderately well and is friendly and sociable.

We are looking at possibly something down the road in the coming months. He has had two falls recently and is currently recovering from a cracked hip. He has two artificial hips. He is not wheelchair bound though and continues to get about with his stick.

Do you have a waiting list and do you have a brochure?

We can be reached at caroltowne@gmail.com or 376 766 0772
    Carol and Roger Towne

• Floyd Baty

July 30, 2015 at 9:14 am

I am planning to move to the lake chapala area in a few months. I am 84 years old in fair
    health . I get around well with the use of a walker. I am interested in moving to an assisted
    living facility with basic care and minimum assistance.could you provide more information
    on your facility, availability,services provided, costs etc, ?
    Your assistance will be appreciated.
    Floyd Baty

• Rosemarie Hughes

October 12, 2015 at 8:41 am

Hello, My father is currently residing at Ohana, in San Juan Coasla. He has been there since August 1 of this year. I believe its run by Ana & Alonzo. Do you have a website for this facility? Is there another number, international, that I could call. Thank you so much. Rosemarie

• Mary Versteeg

December 21, 2016 at 7:31 pm

My Husband is being cared for at Ohana, Ohana by Ana and Alonso and their wonderful staff. The best I’ve found in the Lake Chapala area. Both graduates of University of Guadalajara , nursing with speciality in geriatrics.
    I had him in another nursing home in Ajijic and the care was terrible. I am happy to share my experience.
    mversteeg1@ msn.com

• R.N.G.C. Alonzo García Romero

February 9, 2017 at 11:26 am

Thank you very much for your words, as you know we do our best for ALL our residents, that’s the goal of our beautiful project.
      R.N. Alonzo García: Cel: 3314956167
      R.N. Ana C. Palacios: Cel: 3315491978
      OHANA’S: 387-7610403
      ohanaatlakechapala@gmail.com

• Sheila Lee

January 11, 2017 at 7:49 am

My husband in now living at Lake Chapala Nursing Home. When he fell I called Rudy who
    is the director at the home, he and an another man were at my house within the hour to help me. We got him to the nursing home, after a week my husband told me if I had to leave
    him at a nursing home this one was good, the food was very good and the nurses were great. I always feel welcome there and feel my husband is well cared for.

• Margo Morado

June 20, 2017 at 7:28 pm

I am glad to hear that more people are thinking of providing care for the elderly in the Lake Chapala area. My aunt is 91 and is in an independent living community. She has dementia and I know that sooner or later she will need to go into assisted living. I am going to visit Lake Chapala in the fall and, if I can find a suitable place for her that we can afford ($1000 or less per month) I think it would make very good sense to relocate. I plan to use an assisted living place myself when the time comes and I definitely cannot afford that kind of care, not even in Albuquerque, NM, which is inexpensive compared to most US cities.

It doesn’t seem possible that anyone who plans to open a senior facility in the Chapala area could do anything but flourish. The demand is going to get greater and greater, and people who move to the area are not going to want to return to the US in their old age.

• Gary Stamey

July 6, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Interested in relocating to Chapala/Ajijic assisted living, but NEED wheelchair accessible bathroom/shower,entry ways,etc..

Please advise..

Still fairly able,strong, NOT sick, but paraplegic, use wheelchair always…

• Judith Conway

August 9, 2017 at 10:52 am

I lived in the area with my husband for 5 years and loved it there. I would like to return on my own and am interested in your facility. Please let me know monthly costs and what they include.

• Lynn Paris Drebes

September 5, 2017 at 7:58 am

My mother and I live just outside of San Juan. She is in need of a nursing home, we hope on a short-term basis for now, just two or three weeks. Is that possible here? If so, is there a small room available immediately? Lastly, perhaps I overlooked it, but I didn’t see the exact street address. Could you please provide that, as well?
    Thanks so much!
    Sincerely,
    L. Paris Drebes

• Kim Curtis

September 24, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Do you offer assisted living for an aging married couple? My father has alzheimer’s and my mother is his primary care giver. They are 83 and 80 respectively. My mother needs help looking after my dad. It’s taking alot out of her. If you accommodate married couples, can you give me an idea of the price range please? Ty!

• ralph camery

December 17, 2017 at 5:08 pm

what about some one that comes to your home daily with minimal assistance? cost

• CONRAD GANZHORN

February 19, 2018 at 1:52 am

HELLO,

I AM 71 YEARS YOUNG.

VERY ACTIVE, BUT WANT TO BE AROUND OTHER PEOPLE & ACTIVITIES.

WHAT IS THE RANGE COST FOR INDEPENDENT LIVING? WITHOUT MEDICAL CARE? ONLY FOOD & LODGING.

THEN RANGE COSTS FOR FOOD, LODGING & MINIMAL CARE? FOR NOW.

LONG TERM CARE FOR DEMENTIA? MONTHLY