El Parque, A Beautiful Gated Community In San Antonio

El Parque is located in San Antonio, right off the main street. It goes up at the stop light near Super Lake and Tony’s restaurant. As you go up the hill, it is about half a block and to the right. You will see the gate with the guards.

Guards at the Gate to El Parque

Guards at El Parque

You can’t come inside unless a resident has invited you. The guards always call the person you want to visit before they open the gate.

Just beyond El Parque is a school and beyond that is the local Little Theater. It is run by expats and I have heard that they put on many interesting plays. Anyone interested in the theater is welcome to join in the fun. One of these days I hope to go there and see a play, after my ankle heals.

El Parque is a beautiful community. At one time it was a Recreation Vehicle Park. It must have been special. I have read that it was well known as one of the best in Mexico. There are many beautiful trees here. In 1955 they started building the swimming pool.

The Pool at El Parque

El Parque Pool

El Parque was an R.V. park for fifteen years. It was called Pal Trailer Park. Many of the same people returned every winter. They kept their trailers here. They added on brick side rooms and porches. They developed a thriving community. Every Thanksgiving there was a dinner. There were many parties and other social events. Lifelong friendships were formed.

Unfortunately, the park couldn’t continue because most of the time the people were gone. Omar O’Rourke was working in an office at Lloyd’s bank in Guadalajara. He decided to become a builder.  In 2002 Omar and his architects, engineers and many other workers began building small homes in the park. They quickly sold out. It is no longer a trailer park. It is El Parque and when homes come up for sale they go quickly. Every home in here is beautiful. There 114 of them.

A Street in El Parque

El Parque

I am a swimmer and the pool here is heated. It is also salt water. As far as I am concerned, it is the bet swimming pool in this lakeside area. There is also a beautiful clubhouse where something is scheduled almost daily. There are Thai Chi classes, dance classes, and bridge. I don’t know what all goes on there because I can’t get out of the house now. I am house sitting here. I know they have volleyball in the swimming pool several times a week. There is a gym in the clubhouse with many exercise machines and also a book lending library.

Entrance to the Pool area in El Parque

Entrance to the Pool

I hope they have a Thanksgiving dinner here. I would like to meet more people. My neighbors have been wonderful to me. The owner of the house where I am staying told me that they all stick together and help each other out. I found that out the first day when her phone wasn’t working. I rolled to the front porch and yelled for help. A neighbor came over immediately and gave me one of his phones to use. He dropped by a few minutes ago to see if I needed anything from the store. Several people have come to visit me and ask how I am doing.

El Parque is just a short walk down the hill to Super Lake grocery store and several nice restaurants. San Antonio is a beautiful town. It is smaller than Chapala and Ajijic. Buses stop on the corner every fifteen minutes. It is the best of both worlds. It has the safety and companionship of the expats and the accessibility to stores and the social life of the Mexican community.

Many of the houses in El Parque have views of both the mountains and the lake. I have heard that there are trails going up on the mountain from here. The sunsets from the porch here are spectacular.

Sunset in El Parque

Sunset from my porch

There are many beautiful homes in El Parque. Some of them are for rent, for short or long term. I wish I could afford a home here. I would love to use that pool everyday.

Category : Blog

51 Comments → “El Parque, A Beautiful Gated Community In San Antonio”

1. George Zilliax

Feb 03, 2011

What rentals might be available within a very short distance to the pool area for 3 or 4 months from November to March 2012?

George

• Access Admin

Feb 05, 2011

Hi George,

Not sure if there are any rentals in El Parque. I did however send and email to a rental agent that has tones of rentals. Maybe they have something in El Parque..

• Jacques Dorian

Jul 10, 2011

George,

My house (#39) is available for Nov and Dec.
      I’ll be there Jan thru Mar…..
      $950/month +utilities.

Let me know if you have any interest.
      My Maine, USA # is 978-703-0968

Jacques Dorian

• Sandra Brown

Sep 15, 2011

I am a retired female teacher who is coming to El Parque wth friends who own a place there. Have been down many times, and love El Parque ! I am arriving in November and staying until end of Feb. Mar. or Apr….. flexible… and could always look for another place to rent after you were to arrive. …..
        Let me know if you are interested in talking. Have excellent references… who are your neighbours!
        Thanks for your consideration!
        Sandra

• Scott Harden

Jan 20, 2012

We have a home in El parque available year-round, it was our fathers and unfortunately we are not able to visit regularly. Wonderful area.

• allan stephenson

Feb 19, 2012

We are looking for a two bedroom (min) to rent in El Parque for Dec -March of 2013
            Is it available?

• Paulette Gagne

Mar 11, 2012

Hello Scott,

I recently spent time with friends in El Parque and immediately fell in love. My husband and I will soon both be retired and would be very interested in the availability of a rental with the possibility of looking to the future to purchase a home. You are not by chance the owners of the little white house with blue trim?

No matter, I would love some information. Our friends own #112 on Calle Allen W. Lloyd 149.Their names are Carol and Gary Curtis. They have owned for about 7 years but recently moved there permanently after retiring from education in Vermont. We also live in Vermont and are retiring teachers. Not much $ but want an affordable caring community with interesting and active neighbors. El Parque seems to fit that description.

I will look forward to any further information you can provide at your earliest convenience. I will not be retiring until the end of June and we most likely will not want to rent for more than a month at a time to start, maybe in Dec. or March? My husband is still working part-time at a university so he has less time than I will. We also have a small dog that we travel with, a spaniel/King Charles Cavalier mix.

I look forward to chatting,
            Paulette Gagne

• Kathleen Van Dinter

Apr 29, 2012

Is your property #49???

• Judee and Tom Stalmack

May 22, 2012

Very interested in renting in El Parque for high season (December or January through March. Could come earlier for a longer-term rental if necessary. We stayed in El Parque when it was an RV park, and again–in a lovely casita with friends Jack and Judy Wilson, two or three years ago. Would love to come back.

I have a movie about our last visit to El Parque in my gallery on the internet: http://gallery.me.com/judee1. It will be there until MobileMe is discontinued. I think I will then post it to YouTube.

• T. W. Swets

Dec 30, 2012

I may be interested in renting your place in El Parque,are you the Scott Harden of off roading fame?

• floyd barnhill

Feb 17, 2013

We have visited Ajijic repeatedly in past five years and are interested in renting a place in El Parque next Jan/Feb and possibly March. Please let me know if you might be interested in renting to us. If so what would be the rental rate. Thank you

• Ingrid Hill

Aug 02, 2013

Hi Scott,
            I live in El Parque full-time and am looking for a 2 bedroom, long-term rental for one of my friends. Could you please give me your house number and availability. They are looking for a house from January 2014 on.

• Barbara Lemons

Jan 29, 2014

I am currently in south Carolina and getting ready to move back to lakeside soon. I left there in 2011 to move back to the states. I have missed lakeside deeply and if all continues to go along as they are I should be there sometime in March at the latest. I am single with 2 doxie’s. I know where El Parke is as I had been to Lakeside Little Theatre many times. Can you give me information on your home there ? Any chance of pictures would be wonderful. I had noticed on another realty website one home for rent with the name of “Rita” that included pictures. If by some miracle it is still available when I arrive at lakeside.

Sincerely,
            Barbara “Barb” Lemons

• Collette

Dec 06, 2011

Hi Jacques ….we are coming in Feb to look for month rental for Oct of this year
        El Parque looks like what we are interested in
        what access # are we able to look at your house ?
        Thank you………….Collette

2. George Zilliax

Aug 14, 2011

Thank you Jacques for your quick reply could you send a short description of your home?
    Number of bedrooms and bath rooms , do you have a mirador ?
    Could the rental go from mid Nov to mid Jan?
    Thanks
    George&Meg

3. Patti Malone

Aug 18, 2011

Would anyone have a place to rent for one week towards the end of September?

4. Cynthia Fendel

Sep 07, 2011

Does anyone in El Parque have small home for a long term rental ?

• The Access Admin

Sep 07, 2011

Hi Cynthia, we checked the listing we have here on access and only found one. The Access ID is 16158

5. Sinead Scott

Oct 29, 2011

Hiya,

We are looking to rent a 2 bed property with high speed Internet for approx 4 months from Mid November to Mid March. Would you have anything on your books or could you recomment an agent who might have something similar.

Regards

Sinead

• The Access Admin

Oct 29, 2011

Hi Sinead, let me forward you inquiry to a rental agent, they should be able to find something for you.

6. George Zilliax

Nov 03, 2011

Thank you Jacques for arranging your place for us to rent. We are arriving the night of the 7 th as you know. Will take good care of your special place in this lovely area.
    Meg &George

7. JOY BECKLEY

Dec 11, 2011

Need a rental from JANUARY 15th to FEBRUARY 28th. 2012.Presently at “Birds of Paradise”.
    Will take excellent care of place & have refences . Thanks! JOY

8. Stella Lake

Dec 20, 2011

We are interested in a rental in El Parque for Jan to at least Jun: my husband me and my elderly mother. We rented in El Parque before but needed a long term so could not stay. We can get many references in El Parque as to our character.
    Stella

9. allan stephenson

Feb 19, 2012

We are looking for a two bedroom (min) place in El Parque for Dec-March of next year 2012-2013. references etc available.

10. Kathy Wyatt

Apr 28, 2012

Looking to rent for 2 or 3 months Jan. to April 2013

looking for a 2 bedroom

11. Kathleen Van Dinter

Apr 29, 2012

My husband and I are seriously looking for a 6 month rental in El Parque beginning (approximately) November, 2013. Please let me know if anyone knows of an upcoming availability. Thanks in advance.

12. Janice Beacock

May 13, 2012

We too are looking for a 2 bedroom rental in El Parque for next winter Dec thru March 2013. Any available? Thanks

13. Carol and Gary

Jun 26, 2012

We are selling our El Parque home. If you’re interested let us know. As those who posted here know, it’s a great place to live.

• Marguerite Cowley

May 26, 2013

Could you send me details of your condo please? We stayed in el Parque last winter for 3 months and are interested in buying a property there. We look forward to hearing back from you. Thankyou.
      Marguerite

14. Debbie

Aug 20, 2012

My husband and I recently arrived in Ajijic and are looking preferably in El Parque for long term rental. Are there any available rentals starting Sept. 1st? It would be greatly appreciated to hear a response. Thank you!

15. Z-Access Admin

Aug 20, 2012

Rentals in El Parque are hard to find during this time. Have you browsed the rental listings on the site to see if there are any available?

16. LARRY YANCY

Aug 28, 2012

I AM LOOKING FOR A RENTAL IN EL PARQUE FOR NOV AND DEC 2012 IS THERE ANYTHING AVALIBAL FOR THAT TIME.THANKS LARRY

17. David Warren

Sep 18, 2012

I am looking for a 3 month rental starting mid Jan. I have stayed in the Lake Chapala area last year and have an excellent reference.

18. Judy Adams

Nov 07, 2012

I am looking for a 2 bedroom rental for Jan – Apr, 2013. I lived in San Antonio last winter & have excellent references.

19. Jennifer stanley

May 28, 2013

We hope to rent our house in El Parque for 3 months in 2014, january, February and March. If interested,contact us for details.

• colette Claveau

Jun 20, 2013

hola senora Jennife,

we are looking to rent a house in Ajijic for 2 or 3 months (january to march). we are 2 canadians citizens .

Can you tell us the disponibilty and the price. Can we saw the house on internet

• Marguerite Cowley

Jul 23, 2013

We are interested in renting in El Parque as we were there last year. we are hoping to rent for 5 months. is your place available? Looking forward to your reply. arguerite

• Marguerite Cowley

Jul 23, 2013

Jennifer, We would like details on your house in El Parque. Is it available for 5 months starting Nov. 15th or later? Looking forward to your reply. Marguerite

• Irene MacIntyre

Jul 28, 2013

Hi!

My husband and I are a senior couple from Vancouver Island, British Columbia. We have been wintering in Ajijic for about 6 years. Normally we have been staying at Villas del Sol but it has been suffering from neglect so this winter we are looking for something a little more comfortable!

If you haven’t already rented your house, we would love to hear from you.

Tks!

Irene & Gord MacIntyre

20. Z-Access Admin

Jun 05, 2013

Gail, we sent you an email asking about the rental you have in El Parque. Did you receive it? Looking forward to hearing back from you.

21. Deb

Aug 03, 2013

Looking for a rental for December 2013 and January 2014. Thank you

22. Evi Hofmann

Aug 18, 2013

My husband and I are looking for a rental for February 2014. Ideally from Jan. 30th to March 3rd.. As long time homeowners we know to take good care of your home.
    Evi and Herbert

23. Mary Cairns

Sep 03, 2013

We used to come to the Pal Trailer Park, it was wonderful. We talked about buying but didn’t.
    For several years now we drive down and just go where the spirit leads us.
    Now we would like to come to the park for a couple of months.
    Friends bought and we always visit them. They are Marianne and Herb Staneland, also sue and Doug Lockyer, both from Ontario.
    Is there anyone who might be interested in renting to us? We are a couple with a little well behaved Schnauzer.
    We live on Salt Spring Island and could easily comsider a house swap in the good weather as we can leave in our motor home anytime. Just a thought. Hope to hear from someone.

24. ann pflanzer

Sep 06, 2013

My husband and I stayed in El Parque 2 winters ago and loved it – just like everyone else!
    We would dearly love a place for Jan. and Feb. 2014. Is there anyone interested in renting for that time frame?
    Ann

25. bev and jim

Dec 29, 2013

We are interested in renting in El Parque Oct. and Nov., 2014. We know a couple who rent there and they love it.

26. Myrta

Jan 27, 2014

I am looking to rent all year as of Dec 2014. Single professional lady recently retired. Clean and references. have been coming to Ajijic for 3 years and love the atmosphere in the El Parque Community.

27. pamela farrell

Feb 11, 2014

We have rented villas in El Parque for the past 9 years and would like to do so next winter
    2015- January,February, MArch if possible.
    Reference can be supplied as to our suitability by our present owner
    Thankyou

• pamela farrell

Apr 17, 2014

We have now managed to rent a casa for the winter of 2015 in El Parque so would you please remove our request from the list

Thankyou Pamela

28. Ron Knight

Feb 23, 2014

looking for a rental. March 2014 onwards. El Parque would be great for us .Kindly email. We’re currently lakeside… looking to move 1st to 2nd week of March. Thanks!

29. Joan Machlis-Crasemann

Mar 28, 2014

My husband and I are staying in Riberas and interested in a rental in El Parque prior to buying decision. We could move any time and are not in a big hurry if something is becoming available in the next several months.